Friday, March 9, 2012

Wow! I can't believe the co-incidence!

To put it another way, I can't believe my GOOD LUCK!~   Usually this kind of story ends differently.  Here's the long of it....

Daughter C had been commenting off and on for a long time (like, for only almost a YEAR) on a huge piece of metal - literally a whole sheet of metal roofing - hanging over an extremely high branch of a very tall Pine tree, since the tornadoes of April 27.  I had always missed it, however - focusing instead on the narrow and sharp curve of the road right around that spot.  Recently I decided I HAD to see this very great piece of metal.  After seeing it, I also decided it was worthy enough to be photographed.

So, after several drive-bys (it takes me several ADD influenced drive-bys to get anything done, you see), I finally stopped in someone's driveway (thank you, people), and took about 3 photos of the metal (February 20). (Side-note: The first of these photos is from the passenger seat, since I was a passenger at the time....Feb 18) {Extra juicy side-note:  Unfortunately my camera was dropped onto the road at one point about a month ago - yes, by ME,  - which caused its auto-focus to be pretty much non-functional, or shall we say "moodily functional". This means that in the future, you will see some photos in focus and others euphemistically "misty" or "ephemeral".}

Then we had tornadoes again - well, not exactly HERE, but we had very high winds - and guess what?  A couple days later, we looked for the metal and - and -  it was GONE!!  Yes, those winds had knocked it down and I HAD THE PHOTOS!   YAY, oh YAY, oh YAY.    So now, after all that schpiel (you had to know the whole story, didn't you?) here are the two sets of photos (yes, after a few more drive-bys I finally got the "empty tree" photos! - March 7) and you can see for yourself the amazing phenomenon-of-interest in this fascinating saga!

Feb. 18.  There she is!  (this is actually from a "drive-by" shot - passenger seat, OK?)

Close-up to see the hugeness of this metal sheet (Feb. 20)

From a distance you can see the height of the trees - yes, tornado winds are STRONG!!

Here are the same trees barely a week or two later! (Mar 7)

The metal is gone.

Another close-up.  No metal!

So don't give up, all you rootin', tootin' cowboys, -  because once in a while, fair luck doth smile on ye and ye can bask in the satisfaction of beating the odds  -  for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment